Water Pump from Daventry Town
One of the four water pumps from Daventry town in the 18th century prior to mains water. Before the general introduction of domestic running water, the main water source for the population of Daventry was a series of wells below the town’s streets. These wells were accessed via water pumps. In 1788, there were four such pumps located on Daventry High Street. The pump has been cross sectioned to show the inner workings and the hay or straw that would have been packed around the pipes to prevent them from freezing.
|Simple name:||water pump|
|Classification term:||rich histories|
|Associated organisation:||Daventry Town|