Brass Postal Seal
Daventry's first post office began running in 1840 at no.8 Sheaf Street. Between 1890 and 1898 it was manage by Mrs Charlotte Anne Reynolds who was the vet's wife and lived next door at no.6. One of the Post Office's duties was to seal outgoing mail with a wax stamp. The design on the seal would be pressing into the heated wax that was usually placed on the flap of an envelope (see modern example). The recipient would not only know where the mail was coming from but would also be sure that no one had read the contents.
|Simple name:||postal seal|
|Classification term:||rich histories|
|Period:||19th century, late|
|Associated organisation:||Post Office, Daventry|