The Guardians of the Poor of The Daventry Union stamp
An Act of Parliament in 1834 made it civil goverment's responsibility to administer to the poor, previously this was the responsibility of the local parish church. In Daventry the Poor Law Union was founded on 29th October 1835. The government grouped each civil parish into a union of parishes, there were nearly 600 unions throughout England, each one comprising around 20 parishes. They were specifically set up to meet the demands of the poor within the locality, with a workhouse on the premises. Daventry's workhouse, built in 1836-7 (where Danetre Hospital now stands) could accomodate 300 'inmates'. Daventry had an elected Board of Guardians comprising 34 members. The average per head expenditure on those eleigible was 17s.5d per year (equivilant to around £65 today an worth 5 days wages to a skilled tradesman in the 1830s). This stamp would have been used by the union for their official documents. Workhouses were formally abolished in 1930.
|Simple name:||poor law union stamp|
|Classification term:||rich histories|
|Period:||19th century, early|
|Associated organisation:||Daventry Workhouse|