Train station

Daventry railway station opened in 1888 with much celebration and ceremony. It used to be located to the east of the town centre (roughly where the current McDonalds sits), and the railway ran down along Southway. The station itself was built largely from wood and provided important transport links for workers, school children and various goods. The engine servicing the passengers was called… Read more »

Ball from under mast

This small steel ball was at the base of one of the original masts erected in 1924 for the transmission of the longwave BBC radio service from Borough Hill. Placed between the base of the mast and a concrete block on the ground, the ball gave the mast the necessary flexibility to move with the wind. Incredibly, this little ball could support a… Read more »

Coaching whip

Daventry is no stranger to traffic. Situated on one of the main coaching routes from London to Holyhead, it’s thought that as many as eighty long-distance coaches used to pass through the town each day. Many of the inns along the way were used for stabling the horses and refreshing the travelers. Daventry thus became a thriving coaching town in the 19th Century… Read more »